Friday, February 10, 2012

India


"It is hot and humid all year round"

Another door opened up. I got offered an internship in Chennai, India with another agency (in the Foreign Service). I can do it either in the Summer or in the Fall but housing is unfortunatly not provided. If I do decide to take it, I am thinking in the Fall as I will have more time to save up money.

A little math for 3 months (not that you people care)*:

Airfare- $1,400 R/T (give or take a hundred)
Housing- $160/m up. I feel like I'd end up paying a lot more since I am not a local and doing only 3 months.
Food-  Cheap meal is about $2.00
Spend-???

*Cost of living in Chennai

Is it worth it? Or should I wait to see if the State Dept (with housing provided) comes through for the Fall.
I should pick up a good travel book on India and see whats up. A lot to think about.

And if you are wondering why I am looking at internships if I passed OA... that will take a few months to even be on the register and then I may wait quite a while for an invite, if ever. So, I want to keep moving forward and pretend that OMS won't ever happen. Easier said than done. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! My internship really helped me decide if the FS life was right for me, so I think it's worth it. But I know that it is a lot of money if you have to find your own housing. I hear good things about Chennai from an FSO that I met through my internship, but I am sure that it also depends on who is there at the time. Good luck in making this decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Your internship sounded great. Yeah, I really want to do it... just got to make the details work out.

    I found a service apartment for $650ish a month walkable to the consulate but I may be able to find something cheaper.

    If I do it, I am going to have to go into crazy saving mode soon. I am thinking $4500 for flight, housing, and food. More if I want to travel around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a good decision -- go for it! Perhaps that's just a bit of me talking (as I've always wanted to go to India), but I think you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete