Monday, September 19, 2011

QEP Results in.

No go for me this year... and I don't think I will apply to the PD cone again. Maybe Management next year? I did learn a lot about the process and hopefully that will benefit me next year.

I still get to wait on the OMS position and also I am thinking about applying to the Internship Program to get some overseas experience.

Also, updates might get a bit sparse as I will have some dead time but I will be updating from time to time. I will be starting a Chinese class on Wednesday. So look out for updates on how that goes.
------------------
Edit: I started writing this in the comments but it should be included in the post.

Right now, I am mostly torn on how to better get into an "international" career. I will have two graduate degrees and federal government experience. Also, I'm working on the language part.

The thing I worry about is the lack of overseas experience. I just didn't have the money to do it in college (I financed college myself). I don't think I could take 2 years to do Peace Corps... but seems like the Foreign Service, etc. really want that type of experience in you tool bag.

7 comments:

  1. MTC, that's a real blow, and I'm crushed to read it. I know you know this, if only in your head, but many of our best diplomats are distinguished by their perseverance through the application process. This is a long, grueling game, and the folks who play it best know how to live their lives while keeping their FS application far in the background.

    I think you've got a great attitude, and I'm sure you'll be and even better candidate next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valdysses, Thanks for the note.

    It's all good though. As much as I would have like to had a shot at orals, hiring is down from the past couple years and I made the mistake of going for PD. Even if I made it through orals... I doubt I would have been able to get an offer with no bonus points on the PD register. I am pretty sure I will be looking at other cones next year.

    You are right, this process is a tough one. If you can send it in and forget about it, all the better.

    Right now, I am mostly torn on how to better get into an "international" career. I will have two graduate degrees and federal government experience. Also, I'm working on the language part.

    The thing I worry about is the lack of overseas experience. I just didn't have the money to do it in college (I financed college myself). I don't think I could take 2 years to do Peace Corps... but seems like the FS and anyone else really wants that in you tool bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best advice I can give for overseas experience is take your summer to take a trip to your country of interest (with Mandarin on your list of studies, a trip to China may be a good idea) and feel things out, that's how I found work overseas and you have much more experience and education than when I did it. Join some expatriate networks, meet other expatriates to get clued in on opportunities that aren't often advertised in the States, read blogs or resource guides to the areas you want to work and often there are leads to be found. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still in school? I know a couple of people who have gotten Boren Scholarships or Critical Language Scholarships. That's a gtreat way to get IS experience.

    I am glad that you will keep trying! It certainly is worth the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tiffany Thanks for the tips. China would be a good place. I'll have to find better resources, I think.

    I may pick my friends brain who is in Beijing right now. See if he knows of any expat networks over there. I would prefer that I do something overseas sooner than later, since I don't have any kids or family commitments here.

    @FutureDiplo Thanks, I will take a look at those two scholarships. I work full time and go to grad school at night (tech full time).

    So my options are limited unless I want to quit my job. I was thinking about the state summer intern program. If I could get into a good spot, I could in theory pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send me a private message, I still have a few resources overseas that help with your search.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tiffany - I can't find your contact info. Send me a email at mtreecorner at g mail. I'll give you my personal email.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete