Wednesday, September 28, 2011

As the world turns...


Well, class was canceled for tonight. I suppose I will have to practice on my own.

In other news, I sort of went crazy the past week or so after the QEP. I know that not having overseas experience hurt my resume, so I looked up a lot fo different ways to become an expat. I might be a deep-seeded regret for not studying abroad in college but it bothers me. Yeah.

The scary thing is now I feel like applying to every program.

Let's look at some my choices:
So, I did apply to Teach for China.  The application wasn't bad and I just submitted it on impulse. If its as competitive as Teach for America, I won't hold my breath.

That said, I'm probably also going to apply to JET and the State Department Internship in Ethiopia and China. I always sort of wanted to do JET. Japan fascinates me (even though I am taking Mandarin and not Japanese) and it pays. The State Department Internship is a very very good experience but it is unpaid and only for the summer.

I'm not sure about Priceton in A/A/LA. It looks like a good program but I am not sure how competitive it is.

As for Peace Corp, I would do it in a second. The only issue is I am not sure if I could REALLY do it. Two years is a long time to be in a yet to be determined country. I don't want to get into my personal life, but I am not sure I could make it work.

Here is the real issue with all of this: I'd have to leave my job. I would have to give up my secure federal job with good benefits and pay to take a major risk. Luckily, I will be considered career by the time I would possibly leave but its still a big risk in this market.

I guess I don't have to think about it until I get an offer for somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have experience in one of these programs or something else?

7 comments:

  1. Peace Corps!! Not but really, I think the CLP might be a great way to sharpen your Mandarin and get experience abroad. Boren gets you preferential treatment in the Foreign Service hiring process, fwiw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you were looking at Peace Corps too. Let's get married and go together. haha.

    And Yeah, I was looking at the CLP in Urdu. I am not intermediate yet in Chinese, so I wouldn't be able to apply for Mandarin. I'm going to add this to the post.

    I'd love to do a Boren Fellowship. It seems quite competitive and my university doesn't seem to be the best at merit awards. :(

    Side note: I also applied to State Department's Student Career Experience Program (SCEP). Although, that would be in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready to take the FSOT in the next few days, so I am also hoping to work my way into a Foreign Service career. I participated in the JET Program and I absolutely loved it. It wasn't the most challenging job I've had, but the experience was amazing. Everything was taken care of for me (visa, flight,housing, etc.), so it was a fairly easy process...once you get past the application and interview. In addition, the pay is great compared to other English-teaching jobs. You should go ahead and apply and see what happens. It sounds like you've got quite a few potential paths lined up, but it won't hurt to have one more. ;) Good luck with everything!

    *www.bigdaikon.com and www.ithinkimlost.com are good websites/forums for potential and current JETs. There are a few idiots on there, which isn't uncommon, but there is also some good information about the program and the selection process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jamie,

    I was looking up those two forums and once you get passed some cynicism, it does have good info and people.

    And yes, I do plan on applying. I wrote my SoP and asked my references for letters. So I guess we will see. I think I have a good chance but you never know.

    Just as a note: Getting time overseas is really good for the FSO process. They seem to really like that in QEP phase (of those offered a place in OA, almost all had some time abroad). Good luck on FSOT.

    Let me know if I can give you advice on any of it. Email me on Gmail, I'd also love to hear about your JET experience (I am looking at placement preferences now).I was thinking Hokkaido or Akita (I know I won't probably get it but who knows).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep us updated on how all this works out! And I will def keep updating about the Peace Corps, among other things :)

    Also, Hokkaido is pretty lovely. It's one of the hidden gems of Japan, to be honest. Everyone underestimates how much simple beauty and countryside can lift spirits and assuage homesickness, stressful employment, etc.

    All the foreigners I know were desperate to be in Tokyo when I lived there; all I wanted to do was get North :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I totally stumbled upon this blog through a Google search and in some ways, I found we had a lot in common with each other so I felt compelled to follow your blog.

    I just graduated university with a double major in Asian Studies and Economics. I studied Mandarin and Japanese simultaneously for four years and studied abroad in both countries. It took me a while, but I eventually discovered FSO as a perfect career for someone like me.

    I graduated this May and took the FSOT in June, but like you, did not pass the QEP stage. Now I'm trying to apply for Teach For China, JET, Peace Corps, and other temporary positions that will put me back in Asia (probably teaching English), not cause I lack the overseas experience, but because I can't stand being in the States anymore. :p

    So I guess that's it really. Just wanted to say that you're not the only one in your position. I hope you don't look at my overseas experience and my language ability and think you don't have a chance. You do have something I don't have and that's a nice federal job. :) My skills are too niche to be very marketable in this current job market. :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by.

    Mmmmm Federal Jobs. Haha

    Yeah, it is certainly an asset but the problem with the government is that once you get hired under a job series (I'm an 1102) it's not easy to change career types. So going from being a Contracting Officer to something in Public Affairs or Foreign Affairs (even though its more geared to my education) isn't easy. It does help in terms of my resume and possibility to get a similar civil service job at state.

    The context of this whole thing is important: I'd be leaving a comfortable, well paying, federal job to do something completely different as a means to get into what I want. Its a risk... but I only live once. I think I'd give my mom a heart attack if she ever read this blog though.

    Looks like we might end up in the same place though! I have my JET application almost ready (New pay cuts worry me though) and I have an interview with Teach for China in a few weeks. So, keep reading, I will be updating once my Fall semester classes are over (few more days...)

    ReplyDelete