Saturday, August 6, 2011

The QEP

The Quality Evaluation Panel (QEP) is the step of the process that really worries me. If you look around the internet you can find many qualified people not making it past  this step. You can prepare for the FSOT and the OA... but this stage is somewhat torture. You hear many horror stories on the internet about very well qualified people getting knocked out here.

Basically, A panel of 3 officers look at all the applications (FSOT scores, language skills, resume, etc.) and your responses to the Personal Narrative Questions (PNQs). They then score and rank everyone in each cone. HR sets some sort of number as to how many will get invited that and if you make it above that line *poof* OA invite.

What worries me is that I'm just a normal person. I didn't get to go abroad in college (just didn't have the money) and I don't speak a 2nd language fluently (Mi Espanol es no bueno so I'm working on Chinese now). I do have decent work/intern experience for a 26 year old but if you look at some of the people applying... I feel downright under qualified. And with the economy the way it is, even more crazy Type-A's are looking at the FS.

Right now, I am waiting to hear back in September. At that point, I will either start preparing for the OA or go to a bar and curse the whole thing.

I do have hope that my personal narratives pull me above the line. I'm a decent writer at times but who really knows what they (the QEP) is looking for. Are they looking for stories that are fun to read? Touch on each of the 13 dimensions? Show that you managed to cure cancer?
How I feel about the QEP...
The way I approached it: I made sure to answer the question first and foremost. I have been in government long enough to know that specifically answering what was asked is important.  I also used the structure of Problem, Solution, Action, and Result, and used examples that related to Public Diplomacy as best as I could.

On that note, I'd love to get in touch with fellow FS wannabes... see how they approached the PNQs and compare what works and doesn't. If we can get a few people in the same cone/same cycle, we could figure out what tickles the QEP. I'd hate to keep doing this process and get caught in the QEP monster each time.

3 comments:

  1. I think sharing our strategies is a great idea!

    I don't think I will be invited to the Orals because I believe I need more PD expereince, and because everyone is looking at the FS right about now.

    As far as method is concerned, I tried the "STAR" approach: What's the Aituation? What's the Task presented in said situation? What's the Action you took to complete the task? What was the Result of that action?

    The rundown:

    Only one essay was PD specific (Management), but I tried to highlight my other PD experience in the sixth "Job Knowledge" question.

    Two essays centered on experiences that occurred outside the US (Interpersonal/Management).

    One of my essays highlighted my foreign language ability (Communication).

    Two of my experiences took place at my current place of employment (Leadership and Communication).

    One of my experiences ocurred at a previous place of employment (Management)

    One experience ocurred during a social event (Interpersonal).

    One experience took place in my car, lol ;) (Intellectual).

    The JK section was the hardest for me. It was difficult explaining how I was prepared to be a *good* FSO with such little room to elaborate. I tried to cut it up into three pieces, focusing on my schooling, interest in language learning and outreach experience. I tried to match it all back to the 13Ds...but who knows how well that turned out, haha :D

    Writing the PNs was very difficult, but I had my sisters read them over and give me advice. That really helped.

    I hope more people can share their stories as well...I'd love to hear what they wrote/how they approached the PNQs ;)

    Also, if you (mapletreecorner) would like to read my exact essays, just give me a message and I will send them on to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete