Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chinese in DC


Here is an update on the learning Chinese front.

I want to start classes somewhere in the DC for Mandarin but its been surprisingly hard to find a good program. I had thought that DC would have a slew of options but, at least for Chinese, its limited. There are a few choices though:
I would try to audit the class at American University (Since I am an alumni of that fine institution) but they only offer Chinese during the day and AU isn't exactly close to where I live right now. At this point, it looks like the International Language Institute is the best choice. I'm not sure I like how they set up their level system though. Anyone out there in Internet land have previous experience?

In the mean time, I have been doing some self study. I am using Rosetta Stone (free for me), the FSI course (free), and this book I got at the borders that is closing in Pentagon City. While they are helping me quite a bit, at some point I am going to need a more formal class to pull it all together.

Finally, I found this site. Memrise.com It has been great at learning Chinese vocab thus far. Its sort of in beta right now but it has been a great help. I am adding it to my useful links.

No comments:

Post a Comment