Friday, August 5, 2011

First Post - I want to do what?

What is this blog about?

Well, a few months ago, I hit my quarter life crisis. I was 25, just starting graduate school, and really not sure what to do next. I was "happy" with my job. It paid well and the people I worked with were great. But something was missing and I felt stuck. Maybe it was just a combination of school work and the somewhat dryness of federal contracting but I needed to do something different.

In February 2011, I had a random conversation with a friend. She mentioned that she was going to visit a friend in Africa. It turns out this friend was a Foreign Service Officer (FSO) and stationed in Uganda. At this point in my life, I knew very little about what the FS was. Of course, one Google search led to another... and here I am, writing a blog about trying to become an officer.

So what is this all about? The U.S. State Department says this:
The mission of a U.S. diplomat in the Foreign Service is to promote peace, support prosperity, and protect American citizens while advancing the interests of the U.S. abroad.
If you’re passionate about public service and want to represent the U.S. around the world, a challenging and rewarding career is waiting for you. The opportunity to work and experience cultures, customs and people of different nations is truly a career unlike any other.
The work you’ll do will have an impact on the world. You will be asked to serve at one of any of the more than 265 embassies, consulates and other diplomatic missions in The Americas, Africa, Europe and Eurasia, East Asia and Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, and South Asia. Some of these posts are in difficult and even dangerous environments, but working in them affords great challenges and rewards.

Basically, I will move around the world every 2-3 years representing the U.S. as a diplomat. Cool right?

U.S. Embassy in Prague
Learning Mandarin

I'm being realistic about this whole process though. I am still young and this really is a Plan B (dream job). Getting into the FS is not easy and you can't live your life around it being your only option. That said, I would like to put myself in a position to eventually get an offer, so I recently decided to start learning Chinese (Mandarin). Knowing Chinese would give me some major bonus points later on in the process. That said, even if I never make it to the FS, I can use Mandarin in many other ways. So it won't be a waste to get proficient in it at all.

So where am I?

I took the June 2011 FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test) and passed with a 171. I just submitted Personal Narratives, along with all my other info, back to the State Department. A mystery panel (The QEP) will look over all the applications and rank us based on a variety of factors. Based on this ranking, I may get invited to the Oral Exam in November. If I fail at any point, I'll have to wait until the next June written test.

In the meantime, I will be learning as much Chinese as I can. I have Rosetta Stone and plan on taking classes this fall. My hope is to be at a level 2 in Chinese in at least 2 - 3 years time. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I will go into more details in later posts... but that is a general outline of what I am going be writing about. So if you are interested in taking the FSOT or learning Chinese, Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Learning Mandarin? Very, very cool! I took a class in undergrad, and needless to say, didn't do quite as well as I expected. I blame it on the tones, lol :)

    I look forward to reading more of your blog, and I hope we can continue to support each other throughout this very long process!!

    BTW, is there are reason your blog is named "French Fry Diplomacy"? It's a catchy title, and I'm sure there's a story behind the name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am learning the tones now. I wish I had done this in undergrad. :/

    Ah, no special meaning other than I love french fires and it sounded catchy.

    Its nice to meet people online in the same cohort so I can see how other are going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually considering the same route. How is Rosetta as an intro to Mandarin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosetta Stone Mandarin, like with all of the languages, is a good intro for sure but I don't think anyone will get proficient in a language through Rosetta Stone alone.

    That said, I am using it and it has made Chinese a lot less painful than starting Spanish was for me in High School. Then again, I'm not sure I really liked Spanish in HS.

    I'll have some more posts but I recommend RS if only as a good intro... but you def need more formal lessons for grammar and perfecting the tone imo.

    If you start Mandarin, let me know. I'd love to know more people studying it.

    ReplyDelete